Pavilions Blackburn Lake // Double finalist at the Property Council of Australia National Retirement Living Awards

We are thrilled to announce that Pavilions Blackburn Lake is a double finalist at the Property Council of Australia’s National Retirement Living Awards 2023.

The project has been shortlisted in two categories: the Award for Best Retirement Village Development and the Award for Best Luxury Retirement Living Development.

This pioneering project, developed by the Seventh Day Adventist Church and designed by us, has been recognised for its innovative architecture and thoughtful approach to seniors living. The masterplan was designed to celebrate community-led living while fostering social connections amongst future residents.

“Creating a connected community atmosphere is high on our agenda when approaching a new senior’s living project. Cultivating a sense of belonging amongst residents is an essential consideration, along with creating an environment where residents can truly thrive. Pavilions Blackburn Lake was no exception.” Said our Director, Frank Bambino.

An eco-conscious development at its core, Pavilions is positioned on a rare parcel of native bushland. The low-line buildings take up a mere 20% of the 4.6-hectare site, with the remaining 80% of the site’s biodiversity and ecology preserved across three vast conservation zones.

Much more than just built-form, the project was first considered from a human perspective. The unique landscape allowed us to encourage impromptu interactions between residents through the design, with the premium facilities dispersed across the sprawling development.

This human-led ethos is visible from every angle of the project, including the street frontage, where modern inner-city-style café Miss Lucy welcomes the neighbourhood and provides a social link between residents and the broader community.

Cr Denise Massoud, Deputy Mayor at the Whitehorse City Council agrees that since its opening, the bustling cafe has aided in bringing the community together.

“Miss Lucy has become a regular meeting place for residents and locals in general. There are opportunities for groups to meet at the café, dogs are welcome, and they also have great spaces for families to gather for private celebrations.” Said Ms Massoud.

As we move into a new era of seniors living, Pavilions Blackburn Lake stands as a shining example of what can be achieved when we reimagine the possibilities for our ageing population.

News and Awards