Key Victorian legislation for aged care developments
Following the successful planning approvals for Via Architect’s designs for aged care facilities in the Melbourne suburbs of Lysterfield and Preston, we provide a snapshot of current Victorian state legislation pertaining to aged care design.
For a comprehensive overview of the relevant legislation, view the links below
Amendment VC152, clause 53.17, became active in October 2018. It aims to clarify the planning assessment process for residential aged care facilities, and ensure a sufficient supply of such housing is available close to established social and family networks.
The policy at State level includes the following:
- Recognise that residential aged care facilities are different to dwellings in their purpose and function, and will have a different built form (including height, scale and mass).
- Ensure that residential aged care facilities are designed to respond to the site and its context.
- Promote a high standard of urban design and architecture in residential aged care facilities.
The new standards allow for:
- a maximum allowable building height of 16 metres;
- a maximum site coverage for buildings of 80%;
- communal open space for residents and staff; and
- overlooking screen heights of 1.2 metres, rather than 1.7 metres.
Clause 16.01-7S provides the policies at a State level that relate to residential aged care facilities. The policy aims to facilitate the development of well-designed and appropriately located residential aged care facilities. It includes strategies to:
- recognise that residential aged care facilities contribute to housing diversity and choice, and are an appropriate use in a residential area;
- ensure that residential aged care facilities are located in residential areas, activity centres and urban renewal precincts, close to services and public transport; and
- promote a high standard of urban design and architecture in residential aged care facilities.
Victoria State Government, Planning: Residential Aged Care Facilities, https://www.planning.vic.gov.au/policy-and-strategy/residential-aged-care-facilities
Victoria State Government, Planning: Schemes and amendments, Planning and Environment Act 1987, ‘Victoria Planning Provisions Amendment VC152 Explanatory Report’, https://www.planning.vic.gov.au/schemes-and-amendments/browse-amendments
Disclaimer: This article is intended for high-level information purposes only. Via Architects does not accept liability for any actions taken as a result of the content of this article. Viewers should consult the official State government website for full details of the Victoria Planning Provision.